In the modern business environment, workers from all industries increasingly spend time working remotely. Mobile device management (MDM) systems are supposed to protect companies against data loss by controlling the access to documents that travel outside the company offices. However, many workers use publicly available services instead, such as email and file-sharing websites, because they’re easier to use and offer more features.
Employees Bypassing Your Internal System is a Security Nightmare
Unfortunately, the use of publicly available apps significantly increases the chance that someone will steal your company’s data.
- Mass security breaches are common on these public services. Hackers stole 1 billion people’s account details from Yahoo! alone in 2013, and another 500 million in 2014. It’s not just Yahoo though; a Dropbox employee famously left a document containing unencrypted customer email addresses publicly available. In another episode, Dropbox failed to alert users to change passwords after a security breach.
- People often reuse username and password combinations. Hackers know this. When they steal login details from one site, they test them on other sites. So, if any of the services your employees use are compromised, their email and file-sharing accounts are potentially compromised too.
- Your company can’t control data once it goes into an employee’s personal account. You can’t delete of lock the data after an employee leaves or is fired.
- You can’t monitor what employees are doing with the data. Being unable to spot theft could seriously harm your business if your company conducts research, develops products, or owns other intellectual property.
You Can’t Afford to Ignore this Problem
While this may seem like an issue that affects a small number of your employees today, 30% of Australian employees already regularly work from home, according to a recent survey. That’s a 50% increase in the past 15 years. We can only assume that this will rise further as communication technology and work-friendly apps continue to improve.
According to the same survey, the primary reason for working from home was to catch up on workload. If you want employees to put in extra time during busy periods, you often need to be flexible about how and where you let them work.
But how do you do that without compromising your company’s security?
The Answer is Simple
Lecturing people won’t get the job done. Like it or not, when your employees are focused on getting the work done by a looming deadline, jumping through security hoops becomes a low priority.
Instead, we need to take away the incentive for using these insecure, public apps in the first place. The only way to do that is to make sure the mobile device management system you use is just as convenient as the publicly available services.
You need a system where:
- Email is easy to use and has plenty of storage
- Joint calendars allow your employees to link files with meetings
- File syncing and sharing is easy and doesn’t place restrictive limits on file size
- Integration with popular productivity tools is seamless
In short, you need a service that offers the same high-quality and business orientated features as popular solutions.
To find out how CustomTec can help you implement a safe and effective mobile device management system, phone us today!