Meet the team – Peter Baker
Heading up the ServiceNow team at CustomTec, Peter Baker knows that businesses have to change to survive in the digital world. Digital strategies are common – but the approach to digital varies significantly. Peter and his team work with companies to implement a strategic, enterprise-wide approach to digital disruption, making them better prepared to transform, and compete in an increasingly disruptive workplace.
How did you get into IT?
- I first became interested in computers when my family purchased a Commodore VIC-20. However, my high school only had a few computers, so in year 12 I had to travel 2 hours once a week to attend night school in order to study IT and complete year 12. I then continued on to university to complete an IT degree.
- What do you like and dislike most about your job?
I like most things about my job. One thing I find a little frustrating is not having the time to take a completed task to the next level. Sometime I do like to continue on with a completed task at home to see how far I could take a solution.
- What do you like to do outside of work?
Most of my time outside of work is spent with my family. I have 2 kids that play basketball and netball. We also enjoy going to watch the Big Bash during summer with the extended family.
- If you weren’t in your current job, what would you be doing?
I always wanted to be a dairy farmer. I grew up on a farm, and after 10 years in IT went back to trade school, and then managed the family farm for a few years. I also have an accounting degree, so maybe I could have been an accountant.
- What do you think will change the most in the way that we work with IT in the future?
I think automation and security are areas that are growing the fastest. I think changes in these areas will have the most impact in the future.